Window Measurement for Blinds, Shades, & Shutters
- Inside Mount is more common; the blinds sit inside the window frame.
- Outside Mount spans beyond the window casing.
- Every window opening is unique so be sure to measure each individual window
- Use a metal tape measure of more accurate measurements
- Measure the width and height to the nearest 1/8”
- Never assume a window is perfectly square
For Inside Mount:
- Measure the window width in 3 places. Use the SMALLEST of the 3 measurements. The top measurement is crucial because the head rail must fit.
- Measure the window height in 3 places. Use the LONGEST of the 3 measurements.
- Do not make any deductions. The fabricator will make proper allowances to ensure a perfect fit.
For Outside Mount:
- Measure the exact width to be covered. Make sure the measurement overlaps the window opening by at least 2” on each side including the bottom. This will eliminate gaps.
- Measure the exact height to be covered. Typically, the desired overlap is from the top edge of the molding to the bottom edge.
- Outside mounts will be produced to the exact size ordered.